Instagram has gone all-in on video. The cutting-edge social media platform recently announced IGTV, a new standalone app allowing creators to share vertical videos that are up to one hour in length. IGTV bypasses the limitations of Instagram Stories and posts and encourages creators to share long-form video content to a community of more than 1 billion users. Let’s dive in and discuss all things IGTV.
7 Things You Need to Know About IGTV
Instagram began as a photo-sharing community in 2010. However, IGTV signals Instagram’s massive shift toward video content, reinforcing the recent trend of trading out TV for mobile devices. The success of Instagram Stories and the bright future of mobile video consumption likely played a part in Instagram’s latest game-changing move. Here’s the lowdown on IGTV:
- Videos can last 1 minute to 1 hour long. All IGTV users can post videos up to 10 minutes in length. At the time of launch, creators with 10,000 or more Instagram followers are allotted up to 60 minutes.
- Videos are displayed vertically and in full screen. Instagram believes this will give users the best experience while viewing long-form videos.
- Creators become channels. Everything you add to IGTV goes to your channel, to which users can subscribe.
- Content is available on the Instagram and IGTV app. The Instagram app contains an icon directing to IGTV. IGTV features a search bar and curated videos based on popularity and followers.
- Upload through the IG app website. Videos are not limited to your phone’s camera roll.
- Followers can like, comment, and send videos to friends. Users can engage with IGTV videos as they would with Instagram posts.
- Video descriptions contain outbound links. There are no built-in monetization options at the moment, but creators can add outbound links to their IGTV videos.
Getting Started: Your IGTV Content Strategy
To start off and begin uploading content, users should download the IGTV app and sign in using your Instagram credentials. Each video will include a title, description, optional link and cover photo. Use these fields to entice your audience and include relevant keywords to rank in the app’s search feature. Keep in mind that IGTV accepts 4K video at a 16:9 ratio, which matches the specifications of Instagram Stories.
As you build your IGTV content strategy, ask your current audience what they want to see. A welcome video might be a great way to do this. Using the Instagram app to create polls, posts and stories to gather feedback can also help to spread awareness of your IGTV channel. Instagram insights will help with identifying high-performing videos that can be repurposed into long-form videos or episodic content on IGTV. Make sure to explore the “Popular” tab on IGTV to get an early look at what audiences are already consuming.
Monetizing with IGTV
While IGTV does not sell advertisements or offer monetization options at the moment, Instagram CEO Kevin Systrom has stated that IGTV is “focused on engagement … but [ads] are a very reasonable place to end up.” Systrom also assured influencers, “there will be a way for creators to make a living.”
How can you earn money right now? Well first off, start creating content on the platform. IGTV comes with a host of insights that cover everything from views and comments to percentages of videos watched and average retention. This kind of data will be valuable to advertisers as IGTV evolves. By creating engaging content now, your insights can earn you top-dollar when advertising becomes an option. Plus, creators can leverage these insights to generate new influencer marketing partnerships and add value to current agreements. With the ability to add an external link to your video descriptions, you can send traffic anywhere you’d like and start monetizing instantly.
Final Word on IGTV
Video is the future of social media. Savvy influencers will leverage IGTV immediately to share engaging, long-form video content to build a strong following. With the option to add external links and the ability to obtain a host of insights at your fingertips, it’s only a matter of time until IGTV becomes a significant revenue stream for creators.
Are you a creator looking to increase your income through social media? SocialMob is the solution you need. Our platform connects you with publishers to provide curated content, making it effortless to find, share, and earn money from your posts. As you begin building your IGTV following, earn more money through your other social media platforms by signing up for SocialMob here.