Mobile advertising is a great way to monetize your website on tablets, smartphones and other mobile devices. In fact, mobile traffic is set to overtake desktop traffic this year. However, when it comes to mobile, many websites are floundering. Why is that? Mobile is an inherently different experience from a desktop website – simply throwing up a banner ad on your mobile site isn’t enough. In order to monetize your website on mobile, you’ll have to employ a few tricks of the mobile trade in order to make it work. Try these tips for increasing your mobile revenue:
1. Make the experience touch-friendly. If the ads on your site aren’t optimized for mobile, you could be losing out. The huge banners that show up on your desktop site won’t work. Ensure that your site is touch-friendly – there are plenty of third-party tools that can help you out if you don’t have the budget for a dedicated mobile developer. It’s not just about optimizing your ads for mobile. If your site looks awful on small screens and isn’t touch-friendly, you could lose visitors.
2. Work on flexible targeting. Mobile advertising offers a wide world of targeting that’s not available on desktop. For example, with mobile, you can target based on geography, OS, carrier and more. This information could help you get the impressions that you’re looking for, increasing your advertising relevance for your audience.
3. Sign up with the pros. Managing mobile on your own can be challenging, especially if you’re immersed in the world of desktop advertising. Instead of trying to learn a whole new field, consider working with a professional CPC publisher network or other advertising specialist. You’ll eliminate the hard work and ensure that your site’s mobile advertising needs are handled appropriately. Make sure that you shop around and get quotes for your site to figure out which mobile ad network will best suit your site.
4. Promote your site on desktop. “If you build it, they will come,” is advice that’s totally irrelevant to mobile. Just because you have a mobile site or app doesn’t mean that you’ll get the visitors you seek. Make sure that people know about your awesome mobile site by advertising it on your desktop site – or even on other sites. Putting out ads of your own can bring even more people to your mobile site, helping you get the traffic you need to make mobile advertising work.
5. Test, reset and perfect. Monitoring your mobile metrics is a critical component of ensuring that your mobile advertising is working. In order to optimize your ad revenue, you’ll need to keep a close eye on ROI, views, CTRs and more. Perfecting your ad strategy could take some time, but it’ll be worth it when you watch your revenues climb. No matter which mobile advertising solution you choose, ensure that you keep up-to-date on your reports so that you can tweak your mobile site accordingly.
Mobile advertising can be an effective way to monetize, but it might be challenging if you’re new to the field. To make your mobile site stand out in presence and performance, try these five tips to optimize your advertising, so that your efforts pay off. Here is a very nice case story of how Adidas makes mobile works: